2020 A New Year, A New Decade

January 5, 2020 — 83 Comments

I hope that you all had an enjoyable New Year and feel recharged as we start both a new year and a new decade.  This week I managed to find a lovely balance between work and relaxation to start my new year. I wanted to break back into my practice regime but also prolong a little bit of the holiday cheer whilst my family and I had had some free time.

Me with Esme

On Monday, I managed to catch up with my dear friend Esme, who I met during my Masters at the RCM. After graduation, Esme moved back to the USA so it was a joy to see her in London instead of through the phone or on WhatsApp. However, I am very grateful for this technology as it does help to bring us closer together when we are apart!

Esme and Me in the Albert Hall Foyer after our graduation in 2018

George and I welcomed in the New Year at my brother’s NYE party. It was so much fun and it was great to see some fireworks from the balcony!

Me with my Brother Matt

This week I went to a board game cafe with my brother and brother-in-law. It’s called Draughts and is basically a cross between a library (of board games/bar/cafe). You rent your table for 4 hours and play until your heart’s content. It’s a lovely way to spend an afternoon with friends and I had a blast. We played Reef, Junk Art, and Bunny Kingdom. Even the titles bring a smile to my face.

And to start the new year with a healthy nudge, I went to a brilliant Pilates class with Alex and then enjoyed a lovely cup of tea post sweat-a-thon.

Me with Alex, my Brother in Law

I’m currently working on preparing for auditions and competitions so my workload can at times appear a little fragmented but full of variety! I recently got some great advice from my friend and fellow artist Eric Christopher Jackson his photography captures the raw emotions of weather and the smaller details of life. He said that he wasn’t sure what the future holds but it will be great as long as he works hard and doesn’t give up. I like the power in this statement and self-belief. It’s thoughts like this that make you keep pushing forward and I can’t think of a better motivator at the start of a new year. Believe in yourself and give yourself the opportunity to be who you want to be.

With this in mind, I would love to hear what your New Years’ resolutions are. I try to make periodic goals throughout the year. But my main one for my blog this year is to experiment with Video. I’m a little nervous about this content as I’m not sure what to talk about and how regular I should try to be. I would love to hear your thoughts and also your reviews when I try it out during this year!

I am also excited for the year 2020 as I am thrilled to announce that George and I are getting married in June. I have taken my time before sharing this exciting news with you all, as we wanted to save up some money for the big day and also so we could make a home of our own together for the first time. Luckily everything has gone smoothly so far and we can’t wait to share our lives together.

George and I are so happy to announce our wedding this June

83 responses to 2020 A New Year, A New Decade

Congratulations to you both! I hope all your plans for a life together come off in spectacular fashion, and your life together is a very long one indeed. A million best wishes.

Congratulations to you and George. If you hadn’t explained I was going to ask “Who is the George with whom you spent New Years Eve?” All the best to you both. happy New year indeed.

Congratulations on your upcoming nuptials! Such a wonderful year to be married: 2020, the start of a new decade. Warmest wishes for your every happiness!

Charlotte Hoather January 13, 2020 at 4:40 pm

Thank you, I chose the year specifically for that reason Sheila. I was born on 11th of the 11th month and on 11.11.11. I was 18 and I gave George a choice 04.04.2020 or 06.06.2020 he preferred Summer (hopefully he’ll remember anniversaries easier that way hehe).

Those are beautiful photos. Congratulations to you and George, Charlotte! Wishing you many long and happy years together!

I love your statement, “Believe in yourself and give yourself the opportunity to be who you want to be. ” 🙂

Charlotte Hoather January 13, 2020 at 4:41 pm

Thank you very much, Lavinia, I’m really looking forward to our wedding and blessing in Romania. I’ve been making all the wedding flowers with my Mum this weekend.

So happy to hear that you and George are getting Married in June. Best wishes for along and wonderful life together……Darlene

Charlotte Hoather January 13, 2020 at 4:42 pm

Thank you very much Darlene 😊 we are having a blessing the following week in Romania too so that should be super.

What a wonderful beginning of the year, dear Charlotte! Best wishes to George & you! May your wedding day be perfect & all your dreams come true! By the way, I could craft a bouquet for you or some other wedding stuff. Visit my creative site to see the assortiment. I would be happy to share this moment with you. 🙂

Video is a great idea! Just try & everything will be fine! Besides, it is often difficult to see how it will follow in the blog. Just keep a discovery spirit & things will settle down.

Happy New Decade!

Best wishes,
    Maria

Charlotte Hoather January 13, 2020 at 4:43 pm

My dear Maria thank you for your fabulous message, sorry for the tardy reply I have had a week’s worth of holiday work to catch up on which just reminded me why I don’t normally just stop everything for a week hehe!

We are having a very do-it-ourselves wedding and have been gifted mandala trees off a friend of my big brother that we have decorated, my wonderful friend Terry has made me perfect size boxes for them to sit on and my Mum painted them. Mum and I also went through all of my brother Matt’s old wedding gear and repurposed lots of candle vases and lanterns and went to a wholesale florist where we went wild in the Sale isle and decided on the spur of the moment to make our own bouquets and boutonnieres which we’ve been making this weekend (I’ll send you a photo to get your feedback).

I could also send you pictures of some of the swags we’re trying to make from Christmas decorations that we are repurposing for the wedding then putting back as Christmas items afterwards to get your ideas.
      I’ll e-mail soon,

Beautiful photos Charlotte. The games cafe sounds great, I’ll have to come visit soon. So looking forward to your wedding, it will be sensational I’m sure. 😘😘

Charlotte Hoather January 13, 2020 at 4:44 pm

You must come down for a weekend Gill you could get the train to Euston and I’d come and meet you to get you back to mine on public transport if you don’t fancy the drive.

Peter Alexander January 5, 2020 at 9:37 pm

Charlotte: I am so thrilled at your happy news! I’m sure you are both very lucky to have found one another and have so much to share together. I have never seen a photo of you that you weren’t beaming, but your picture with George is absolutely radiant! I have noticed, and really admire, how you manage to balance your life, which in my experience is the best way to manage a married life with a demanding profession. Blessings on you both, and many, many years of happiness and professional fulfillment. –peter

Charlotte Hoather January 13, 2020 at 4:44 pm

Thank you Peter, I so frustrate some photographers when they want a cool, sultry or sophisticated look hehe. We are lucky to have found each other in my second year at the conservatoire, we met when teamed up for the Kathleen Ferrier competition so we’ve been a couple for six years now. Both being musicians allows a lot of understanding about travel and working away from a home base and for two years whilst I was in London we managed to find ways of sustaining a healthy long distance relationship.

Congratulations Charlotte. George looks like a lovely man.

Charlotte Hoather January 13, 2020 at 4:45 pm

Thank you he is a lovely man you would like him, he loves to read and study.

Congrats to you both from David and I. You’re an amazing and talented couple and we hope you meet you again soon. Much love!

Many blessings for you and your betrothed! I am so happy for you, that I could burst. God Bless the joyous beginning of the new year and new decade! <3

Charlotte Hoather January 13, 2020 at 4:46 pm

Thank you so much Annette, I wish you could all come along to celebrate the big day or the blessing in Romania. Having restricted numbers because of cost for the wedding breakfast has been a nightmare for me but I can be freer for the evening celebration with an English ceilidh band (which do a mixture of modern, English folk, barn and Country dancing no experience required at all) and buffet. One of my favourite things about Scotland was the regular ceilidh dances and when I found out there was an English band, and coincidentally one of my opera singing friends is in it, I was thrilled. There is also a disco that we’ve booked.

Many congratulations and may your futures be blessed. They should be as you deserve it. You have a talent and you are using it wisely. What more could anyone do.

Charlotte Hoather January 13, 2020 at 4:47 pm

Thank you so much Scott for your lovely message 😊. I’m excited for the year ahead professionally and personally.

Congratulations to you and George!

Wow !!!! Félicitation !!! I’m really very very happy for you and George !!! wish you all the best of the world !!! and , of course, have a fabulous 2020 !!!

Congratulations! You make a beautiful couple.

Charlotte Hoather January 13, 2020 at 4:48 pm

Thank you very much, It’s lovely to hear from you and I hope you are well and looking forward to the new year.

My best wishes for a happy future together!

Congratulations! Best wishes to both of you as you plan your upcoming wedding!

Charlotte Hoather January 13, 2020 at 4:49 pm

Thank you so much 😊, I’m a pretty cool planner we’re doing as much of the decorations as we can ourselves and I’m repurposing lots of things such as hola hoops to make a cake stand; Christmas swags and fairy lights, I’m hoping to wear my Mum’s veil her dress was much too small or I’d have redone that. We’ve made a start getting things booked and ready so fingers crossed.

All my best wishes,

Amrit Pal Singh January 6, 2020 at 2:33 am

Good morning have a nice day

Congratulations on your engagement. You two are an adorable couple. Your brother is as handsome as you are pretty. Your parents did well with the two of you. Here’s to a wonderful 2020.

Charlotte Hoather January 13, 2020 at 4:50 pm

I’ve a younger brother too Timothy but he was in Edinburgh, Scotland where he now lives I should have put a Christmas photo of all of us all in (we were all at home this year which was fab). Thank you for your congratulations and wishes.

All my best wishes to you,

Congratulations George and Charlotte. I’m not entirely surprised now that I think about it. With the New Year ..I just focus on today, even though I have huge goals. If I do the right things each single day, it adds up to getting to where I want to be. So, for today, do what’s right. Tomorrow, do what’s right. The next day, same thing, etc. Progress. Get better each day. It’s a marathon. Take a break when I need it. Slow down when I need to. Have a lazy day when I want one. Play video games. Go to the movies, the mall, the beach. Live Life. But always understand it’s about the ultimate goal all the time.

I don’t make New Year’s Resolutions anymore because the Plan hasn’t changed for several years. This isn’t a Resolution, it’s a Lifestyle. Whatever your Purpose in Life, whatever your Calling is, be ‘you’ no matter what Calendar day it is.

Before I go, I have to ask you, Charlotte: When is the new Album coming out? George is a master on the piano. You’re a master Opera Singer. Naturally, I’m looking for the new Album. Just tell us the Release Date. 🙂

Charlotte Hoather January 13, 2020 at 4:50 pm

Thank you, Eric, I have mentioned George a lot before in our professional relationship.
      I love your focus and your plans are perfect. We have been wanting to do another album for a couple of years but just didn’t get the window of opportunity but we are definitely working on one at the moment now that we’re both in London and I want to learn some new material to fill gaps in the program we’ve planned so watch this space 😊.

So excited for you both, I absolutely love the photo’s of you all.
    The time will fly until June, with so much to do.
    The games cafe sounds like good fun ,and pilate classes are great-for keeping fit..
    Good luck to you and George, for everything you are doing this year, especially getting married. 💏😘

Charlotte Hoather January 13, 2020 at 4:51 pm

Timothy above reminded me that I forgot to put in a photo of Tom during our Christmas celebrations so I’ll add one and you can take another glance 😊. Time is already flying by – eeek.
      You should get a train trip to London and I’d meet you at Euston. Thanks for you luck message we’re going to need a bit of luck for everything to fall into place on time.

Oh, I am so thrilled to hear your news. When you started out I thought this post was about your brother, old friend and future plans, but Wedding Plans? This is BIG!!
    All my best wishes to you and George for your future happiness!!

Charlotte Hoather January 13, 2020 at 4:51 pm

Thank you, GP you made me chuckle perhaps the wedding announcement should have come first hehe. I like to save the best bits for those that come through and read my entire post as a sort of reward for putting up with my writing. I put George under test conditions for the past six years hehe, we’ve managed long-distance for a couple of years when he remained in Scotland to finish his Masters and work but we’re both together in London now, hopefully, I won’t bore everyone with my wedding plans but goodness who’d have thought one day would take so much time!

Oh, Charlotte, congratulations! I’m so happy for both of you! Best of luck for the New Year in every way!

Best regards,

Cate

Charlotte Hoather January 13, 2020 at 4:52 pm

Thank you so much Cate, now George is in London I’d love to introduce you both.

Congratulations to you and George on your engagement. Lovely photos too.

Charlotte Hoather January 13, 2020 at 4:53 pm

Thank you so much, we had some professional photographs taken in Glasgow for programs when we perform recitals together so we asked if he could change into casual clothes for a couple of celebratory photos after our engagement glad we did now.

Congratulations on your engagement Charlotte! Wishing you the very happiest of New Years. May it bring you lots of wonder as you pursue your love of music.

Charlotte Hoather January 13, 2020 at 4:53 pm

Thank you so much, super to hear from you.

All my very best for 2020, hope you’ve lots of adventures planned.

Happy New Year and what wonderful news.
    I hope you will be extremely happy together xx

Big smiles for you and George! Congratulations.

My new year’s resolution is to stay out of the hospital. One day’s stay so far this year. No, not too much celebrating.

Charlotte Hoather January 13, 2020 at 4:54 pm

Thank you Jeff. I hope you don’t find your resolution too difficult to keep, I wish you better health and more to celebrate as the year gets underway sending my very best wishes your way,

Congrats on you marriage to George truly this will be a wedding made in heaven. Best wishes for the two of you and may God bless your wedding day.

Charlotte Hoather January 13, 2020 at 4:54 pm

Thank you Rev.Tim I’m pleased you enjoyed reading our news. We are also having a church blessing in Romania.

Congratulations. C. Quite a year in the making.

Charlotte Hoather January 13, 2020 at 4:55 pm

Thank you for your congratulations. As I said above who’d have thought one day would take so much planning! Normally I just enjoyed birthday parties my parents threw without a care in the world hehe. Luckily my Mum is a master planner and is keeping us on track.

Congratulations on your forthcoming wedding! And good luck with your videos in 2020.
    My personal resolutions: photography, writing screenplays, directing another micro-budget film.

Charlotte Hoather January 13, 2020 at 4:55 pm

Thank you Jonathan, good luck with your resolutions it sounds like you’re going to be busy, the film plans are going to take lots of planning much luck to you for that.

Congratulations! I am sure you will have a wonderful 2020! x

What wonderful news to kick off the New Year. Congratulations to you both, Charlotte! I’m sure the new Decade will offer exciting new experiences. All the best and may your wedding and future together with George be full of God’s blessings! 🙂

Charlotte Hoather January 13, 2020 at 4:56 pm

Thank you for your lovely message Arti I’m glad you enjoyed reading our news. Fingers crossed for the new decade – and the wedding and blessing, we’re off to Romania for a blessing the following weekend, I must find time to work on my Romanian language it doesn’t help that George speaks perfect English!

Congratulations on your engagement! 🙂

I can only imagine the amount of planning that goes into for the one day only event. Nice that you’re doing some of it as “do-it-yourself”.

PS – Since George speaks perfect English, have you been extra careful speaking English yourself? (lol)

Charlotte Hoather March 5, 2020 at 5:28 pm

Hi David, sorry for such a tardy reply to your lovely message I’ve only just spotted that I didn’t respond. I’ve loved the wedding event planning and making all the decorations ourselves, we’ve made hula hoops we had as children into a flower cake stand, Christmas wreaths and swags into wedding swags, put flowers and greenery onto Lanterns and Hurricane Vases my brother gave me from his wedding, and flowering up Manzanita trees a friend of my brother gave us after their wedding for the centre of the tables.

Congratulations! A blessed and happy new year to you both.

Charlotte Hoather March 5, 2020 at 5:29 pm

Thank you for your warm wishes! I was visiting your blog for some wedding inspiration and I really enjoyed “If all good things must come to an end.” George loves house plants, so the lines “A tender shoot, love needs attention constant nurture and devoted care” really struck a chord with me. Beautiful writing!

Best Wishes,

From a Scorpio to a Scorpio, this year is turning up stars for you.

Charlotte Hoather March 5, 2020 at 5:29 pm

Your comment fills me with excitement! I hope 2020 is a wonderful year for you! It is our time to keep searching for happiness, health and personal growth.

Best Wishes,

Congratulations Charlotte & George!
    I want you both to know that IMHO you are spectacular together…. Piano/Soprano.
    This team would take the world!

Charlotte Hoather March 5, 2020 at 5:30 pm

Dear Resa, thank you for your gorgeous message and for your belief in George and me. We are so lucky to be able to make music together – so we will certainly fly on the wind of your kind thoughts.

Best Wishes

Congratulations Charlotte and George! I am so happy for you both!

I’m horribly late to the party, but congrats on the engagement! Really happy for you. 🙂

Charlotte Hoather March 5, 2020 at 5:30 pm

Dear Stephanie, please do not worry, It is always wonderful to hear from you! I am grateful you visited and send your love and congratulations to George and I. Shining it back to you!

Best Wishes,