A Week Full Of Music

March 18, 2018 — 50 Comments

This week has been filled with such a variety of musical experiences and it has been such a pleasure to share them with both family and friends.

On Monday, my brother, Matt, took me to see the ‘Book of Mormon’ at the Prince of Wales Theatre. The show is a personal favourite of his and provided some much-needed comic relief, I particularly enjoyed the tap dancing, and the choreography reminded me of the fun times we shared together during our dance classes when we were younger.

001

The Book Of Mormon – London Cast

My dear friend Harvey invited me to watch ‘Rinaldo’ by Handel on Tuesday evening. This was a concert performance, involving very little stage direction, glamourous frocks, and one prop. The performance took place at the Barbican. Iestyn Davies (performing the part of Rinaldo) sang alongside a marvelous cast in an evening of divine music and story-telling. I had not heard Davies sing live before, and it was such a treat. I was blown away by the beauty and warmth of his voice and the fiery coloratura that he made seem effortless.

rinaldo-barbican-the art desk - Robert Workman

Rinaldo at the Barbican ( Photo By Robert Workman )

On Wednesday, my friend Alex accompanied me to watch ‘From The House Of The Dead’ an opera by Janácek. I managed to get two tickets as part of the Royal Opera House’s student scheme. It was a very moving opera, with moments full of doom and gloom. It was unlike anything else I have seen before. The set design effectively created the prison environment, with a yard, and the warden’s office, which later became the backdrop for the prison theatre event. The experience felt like you were watching through a cracked window, which gave the impression of a mosaic, each piece filled with a different story and commentary, depicting the lives of the men in the prison. Leading you to question their morals and evaluate their choices. It was very interesting to watch this with Alex as he is a barrister and has a personal interest in law. We were able to discuss the piece in great detail afterward.

78179-1049-nicky-spence-as-nikita--salim-sai-as-actor--c--roh--photo-by-clive-barda

Nicky Spence as Nikita and Salim Sai as Actor ( photo by Clive Barda ROH )

The week ended with a fabulous opportunity for me to make music with my talented colleagues at the RCM. On Friday evening I performed for Joe Kiely whose composition ‘Ice Legacy’ featured in the ‘Composition for Screen’ showcase held in the Britten Theatre at the RCM. It was such an honour to perform alongside the orchestra conducted by the wonderful Akos Lustyik,  a talented composer himself, whose music also featured in the event.

It has been a real pleasure to work with Joe on this piece, the melody and text were inspired by the Norwegian language. The process of preparing for this event was very exciting. The first rehearsal took place in the Belle Shenkman Studio at the RCM, where we were all equipped by the fantastic sound department with microphones and headphones. The challenge of singing for ‘film’ is that the music has to be extremely accurate in rhythm as it is composed to link up with what is seen on the screen. Therefore, it is vital to be with the conductor and the click that we hear through the headphones, whilst also balancing with the live ensemble. I really enjoyed experimenting and learning how to adapt to the requirements of this style of performance I would love to be involved in similar projects in the future.

IMG_1939_RCM

Me With Joe Kiely

IMG_1801_RCM

It has really been a treat to go and watch so many wonderful performances. I feel inspired and full of motivation to begin work on my next projects.

scroll

With Ann

I bought a copy of Annette’s book “Go You” this week and can thoroughly recommend it. Not only is she a lovely person but you can open this book on any page and a little bit of positivity rubs off on you.

50 responses to A Week Full Of Music

What an exciting week Charlotte, full of music and more. I’m so glad you can, and do, make the most of opportunities put before you.

Charlotte Hoather March 25, 2018 at 8:48 pm

My social life is very much like this nothing for months then everything in the same week 🙂

Wow Charlotte, what a week that you have had. Sounds like you are hitting all of the buttons for all of the performances. GO You!!!!

Charlotte Hoather March 25, 2018 at 8:48 pm

I love watching all sorts of performances, I just itch to be up there doing it with them and it spurs me on.

You are living a dream life! Enjoy!

What a busy week! It must have been wonderful to have experienced such a variety of different types of music with friends and family. Best wishes for a good week ahead! Clare xx

Charlotte Hoather March 25, 2018 at 8:50 pm

It was a nice breath check before I received my opera scenes notification on Thursday two great opportunities to learn new scenes I’ve not done before. Now college is out for a month but ‘there is no rest for the wicked’, (don’t know what wicked I’ve done though) hehe.

Charlotte, what a fabulous week you have had.
    How exciting, you certainly make the most of every opportunity that comes your way.
    Brilliant photo’s too.
    Good luck with everything you do, have a lovely week.xx

Charlotte Hoather March 25, 2018 at 8:50 pm

You know what you say make the most of every opportunity they don’t come every day. These shows were very interesting, each very different. Trying to make every minute count.

I am glad you were able to spend time with your brother Matt. May the Lord continue to bless your musical career my beloved.

Charlotte Hoather March 25, 2018 at 8:51 pm

My brother was really good to me buying me this ticket and it’s not even my birthday, he just thought I needed an end of term treat and he’s been really busy too so it was a good chance to have a bit of fun.

Wonderful time, dear Charlotte! I wish you more music the week ahead!
    Cheers!
    Maria

Charlotte Hoather March 25, 2018 at 8:51 pm

It has been a week full of music, I’ve been learning some new French song.

I was smiling, reading about all the great music you got to experience this week, on both sides of the stage… and then… MY MOUTH fell WIDE OPEN! Thank you SO MUCH for the shout out for my book. I am blushing, for I love that little book. You are such a dear person and I am honored to be connected to you. Cheers!

What beautiful news, thank you for sharing these good energies Charlotte.
    Have you ever thought of dubbing voice on movies or cartoons? It’s very interesting to work rhythm and tone. I wish you a fabulous week and a nice start to spring.

Charlotte Hoather March 25, 2018 at 8:51 pm

Thank you for your reminder that Spring is around the corner. I’ve not thought of dubbing voice, at the moment I want to concentrate on singing but I also have bills to pay and yes any work on rhythm and tone helps with singing.
      My best wishes

I can imagine you had a fun packed week viewing these great performances and performed yourself. Wonderful!

I am wonder some of the people might be seeing you watching these other shows and also seeing you perform as well. If it were me I would be in awe.

Charlotte Hoather March 25, 2018 at 8:52 pm

I have a hectic couple of months now of performances, I just need to press forward and watching other’s perform is always a real joy with something to learn from everyone.

All of these feel like different performances, which is helpful in becoming a 3-dimensional performer. There is always room in one Industry to try something unique. It’s great that your passion is fueled even more by these experiences.

Charlotte Hoather March 25, 2018 at 8:52 pm

You just hit the nail on the head. If you keep just doing the same thing over and over and expect a different result you’re not going to get one, you have to expand and try new experiences to help give you renewed purpose.

Charlotte Hoather March 25, 2018 at 8:52 pm

It was great fun! Great people to be with and a good finish to the end of term.

Fabulous Charlotte, truly fabulous! You are so talented and committed to what you do I have enormous respect for you. Your energy knows no bounds, well done! 😘

Charlotte Hoather March 25, 2018 at 8:52 pm

And sleep… you know that great knack I have of falling asleep sitting up – let’s just say it’s good that I learnt that.

Such a full life you lead – cherish every moment! It is fantastic that you have a chronicle of your experiences right here in you blog… something that will last forever!

Charlotte Hoather March 25, 2018 at 8:53 pm

One of the great things about an expanded circle of friends by blogging is the variety of people I meet, people with different interests, from all corners of the World, it enables me to maximise opportunities for encouragement and empowers me to get on with it. You are one of those people GP always great motivation.

Sounds like a great week!

Charlotte Hoather March 25, 2018 at 8:53 pm

Thank you, Trent, it was a great way to end the Term. Teaching stopped the week before and I start work again on the 23rd March so it was nice to take a breather and enjoy others perform.

Every post it seems you add a new experience. The syncing with a live orchestra and a screen on a new work must have needed very sensitive timing. I love the sound of the Janacek and will look out for it.

Charlotte Hoather March 25, 2018 at 8:53 pm

I’m making the very most of my student time left in London. I’m always willing to try new things.

How exciting, Charlotte! So happy for you!

And we also enjoined the blog post as always 🌸🌺🙋🏼‍♀️

Such great updates… I am glad that you had fun, surrounded by people you like… and of course, and always: music. Perfect. <3 Love & best wishes, dear Char!

Charlotte Hoather March 25, 2018 at 8:54 pm

All three performances were very motivational, they gave me lots of inspiration and like you said, with fabulous people. I wish you a happy start to Spring.

What a lovely, positive post. So glad you are enjoying all the variety of music 🙂 x

Charlotte Hoather March 25, 2018 at 8:54 pm

Thank you Christine, I’m in a good place at the moment, even though there is chaos swirling all around hehe.

Great time, thanks!

Sounds like a whirlwind of a week filled with incredible shows and music. Have fun! Thank you for sharing. Hugs xx

Happy time, great sound.

That looked like the most amazing experience! 🙂 Keep it up!

Trackbacks and Pingbacks: