Total Immersion: The Complete Songs By Sergey Rachmaninov

October 28, 2018 — 38 Comments

download

Next Sunday 4th November 2018 I will be performing alongside a host of talented singers and musicians at Pushkin House which is the oldest independent Russian Cultural centre in the United Kingdom. The concert is one of two which has been organised by the fabulous Maya Soltan, the other will be held on Sunday 11th November 2018.  The two concerts aim to cover all of the songs by Sergey Rachmaninov in a rare opportunity to enjoy them all together through live performances.  Maya has been instrumental in both the arranging of the two concerts and the coaching and language preparation for the singers involved.

Rachmaninoff

Sergey Rachmaninov

The two concerts will feature in total 52 musicians from 12 different countries hand picked by Maya Soltan from the Royal Academy of Music, the Royal College of Music, Guildhall School of Music & Drama, Trinity Laban Conservatoire, the Royal Northern College of Music and the Wales International Academy of Voice.  The songs will be introduced by Russian concert pianist Dr. Alexander Karpeyev.

The two songs that I will be performing in Russian are The Answer, Op. 21 no.4, The Lilacs, Op. 21 no.5.  I must personally thank Maya for her help whilst preparing these two songs as it will be my first performance in Russian and without her coaching, it would not have been possible.

More details about the two events and how to buy tickets can be found here.

Performers on the 4th November:

Tamsin Birch, Sofia Celenza, Charlotte Hoather, Mariya Irel, Joohyun Lee, Oxana Lepska, Laura Peresivana, Alice Usher, soprano

Kerri Dietz, Bethany Horak-Hallett, Malvina Maysuradze, Julia Portela Piñón, Rosamunde Thomas, mezzo-soprano

Damian Arnold, tenor

Jonathan de Garis, Adam Maxey, Theodore Platt, Luke Scott, baritone

Benjamin Shilperoort, bass-baritone

Sian Davies, Joe Howson, Rustam Khanmurzin, Esther Knight, Camille Lemonnier, Guy Murgatroyd, Harry Rylance, Maya Soltan, piano

Programme 4th November 2018:

The Soul’s Concealment, Op. 34 no.2
So dread a fate I’ll never believe, Op. 34 no.7

In my garden at night, Op. 38 no.1
Daisies, Op. 38 no.3
Dreams, Op. 38 no.5

C’etait en Avril (1891)

The Flower has faded (1893)

Were you hiccupping? (1899)

Letter to Stanislavsky (1908)

38 responses to Total Immersion: The Complete Songs By Sergey Rachmaninov

Oh, this sounds wonderful. Not only are the great Russian composers among my favorite, but to know that you are actually performing IN Russian… Well, that’s going to be remarkable. Brava!!

Charlotte Hoather November 3, 2018 at 9:11 pm

I’m really looking forward to hearing all of the other songs from the different song cycles by Rachmaninoff. It has been hard work but very worthwhile, I’ve thoroughly enjoyed the experience. Maya is a wonderful coach and I hope that I can learn more Rachmaninoff songs after this concert.

Sounds wonderful.

Charlotte Hoather November 3, 2018 at 9:12 pm

I’ve had my final rehearsal today and I’m very excited for the performance on Sunday.

Oh, you’re going places!! Congratulations, Charlotte!!

Good luck with your Russian songs – so glad you had a great teacher!

Charlotte Hoather November 3, 2018 at 9:12 pm

So fortunate to have had this time with Maya, a fabulous coach. I will miss spending time with her each week but hopefully I can arrange more lessons in the future.

That should be educational. I didn’t know he’d written any songs. Much less so many, and with such tantalizing titles!

Charlotte Hoather November 3, 2018 at 9:13 pm

Rachmaninoff’s songs are so beautiful, each one is so full of life and colour. These concerts are such a great opportunity to learn and hear these songs, I’m very excited for Sunday.

Bravo, félicitation, congratulation, great !!! very proud and happy for you !!!! Wish you the best!!!

You must be very proud to be invited to do this. Go for it, girl!

Charlotte Hoather November 3, 2018 at 9:13 pm

I was very excited after the audition when Maya said she could allocate me some songs and tuition days. I grabbed the opportunity by both hands.

Your songs will be in Russian… The Answer and the Lilacs.. Sounds so beautiful.
    Congrats on getting to sing these songs at a very special venue.

Charlotte Hoather November 3, 2018 at 9:13 pm

I also sing a different arrangement of They Answered in French. This is because the poetry is originally by Victor Hugo, and later set to music by Liszt. So this was an excellent opportunity to expand my interpretation of the poetry and my repertoire.

In Russian! Sounds great, do your best!

Not familiar with Rachmaninov’s vocal work but considering the beautiful melodies inherent in his symphonic pieces, I’m sure they will be beautiful! Look forward to hearing you sing them Charlotte! 🙂

How exciting! I would have loved to have been able to attend these recitals, especially the night you will be performing, but sadly I am not. Best of luck, Charlotte!

Very cool. It’s great to see these opportunities opening up for you you. Good luck and have a great show!

Charlotte Hoather November 3, 2018 at 9:15 pm

I have been auditioning all week, its hard to get the knock backs but it’s great when as you say opportunities present themselves and having Russian lessons was just brilliant.

Well done Charlotte. Two great concerts, sounds wonderful 👏👏😘

Charlotte Hoather November 3, 2018 at 9:15 pm

Thanks Gill, I’m up performing in Tideswell the following weekend and at home for my birthday next week. Unfortunately, I can’t make the second recital, but I am sure it will be marvellous and I hope I will be able to hear his full songs again in the future.

Sounds fabulous, Charlotte! Congratulations and you’ll do great! 💗🎵

I pray that your performance will be a success and that God will be glorified. May the Lord bless you richly my Beloved.

Charlotte Hoather November 3, 2018 at 9:15 pm

Thank you for keeping me in your prayers I am very grateful. Your kind thought fill me with energy and will fuel my practise.

How exciting! That you are singing in Russian is quite a feat! I would like to thank Maya, as well. I know your performances will be just splendid. Congratulations, Charlotte! -Resa

Charlotte Hoather November 3, 2018 at 9:16 pm

It was just a brilliant opportunity, Maya has been a fantastic coach and I’m very excited for Sunday now I hope I do the songs justice.
      Best wishes and thank you Resa,

OOPS…Maya …thank you!

How exciting 👏💛👏💛 you never cease to impress me, dear Charlotte. Best of luck for tomorrow … 😘💛

Rachmaninov is awesome! Have a great show!

Love the music of Rachmaninov. His second symphony is close to my heart. Hope the concert went well x