Singing In Seoul

March 27, 2019 — 48 Comments

It has been such an honour to be selected for this year’s Seoul International Music competition and I’m having a magical time here in Seoul, such a beautiful place and the people are so friendly and welcoming.  I have met so many fabulous singers and had the opportunity to spend time with them and build new friendships; Yurie Takano from Japan, Yemonja Stanley from the USA, Maarri Ernits from Estonia, and the super Menna Cazel from the UK.

This year the standard has been exceptionally high, and I have not envied the job of the judges who have to try and mark our performances and pick the finalists.  I have learned so much from the experience and though I did not progress through to the final round the feedback from the judges has been very constructive and it was a privilege to meet them to seek their advice.

Exploring the city of Seoul has been a real treat as the public transport system is easy to use and very comprehensive once you get to grips with the map 😊 So far I have visited the Olympic village which was about an hour on the train, it was quite inspiring to walk around and try and imagine what it must have been like full of competitors and cheering crowds.

We have walked all over the Gangnam area which is where we have been staying and sampled the Korean cuisine in several of the local restaurants.

The staff at tourist centre have been so helpful and suggested several places to visit whilst we are here. It was fun to walk along the K-Star road and check out the iconic Gangnam Dolls.

I also visited the Starfield Library in Gangnam which had some amazing larger than life illustrations constructed with books, quite an achievement 😊

The Arts centre where we performed was amazing, it houses the Opera House, Music Hall, the Hangaram Art Museum, the Hangaram Design Museum and the Seoul Calligraphy Museum.  The campus was huge and reminded me of Lincoln Centre in New York and so convenient to have such fabulous performance spaces all in the one place. My brother Matt and his husband Alex flew out yesterday to come and support me and to take a short holiday.  It will be a treat to spend some time here with them and share some quality time exploring the culture and heritage of this amazing City and the surrounding areas

48 responses to Singing In Seoul

Thank you, for sharing the soul of Seoul! What fun you are having.

Charlotte Hoather April 1, 2019 at 4:49 pm

Everywhere is very efficiently run, very little litter, I’m still singing every day but with joy to be here.

Wonderful experiences! Enjoy!

Charlotte Hoather April 1, 2019 at 4:49 pm

Thank you, Sheila, we wouldn’t have thought to take a vacation here, my brother actually changed his holiday plans so that he could come out hoping I would progress so they could watch me (I told him he’d jinx me hehe).

Fabulous! Now you are a Seoul singer. What next R&B?

What fun to see these photos! Congratulations on performing in Korea.

Book art – cool. Thanks for sharing your adventure. It sounds like you are having a wonderful time 🙂

Charlotte Hoather April 1, 2019 at 4:50 pm

I’ve got several photos of the different racks of book art it is amazing, wonderful place.

Well done for taking part in such a great competition. It looks a fantastic place to visit, and your photos are wonderful. So glad you’re enjoying your visit Charlotte. See you soon. 😘

Charlotte Hoather April 1, 2019 at 4:50 pm

There is part of me that wishes I didn’t have to compete, that I could just work but the forced deadlines for perfecting new arias and songs is good for keeping concentrated learning timetabled and fills gaps between jobs.

I could watch your smile forever

Magnifique ! Merci de ce beau partage Charlotte, meilleurs pensée pour Toi !!

Charlotte Hoather April 1, 2019 at 4:51 pm

Merci Beaucoup Pascal. Je suis content que tu aimes les photos/
      Meilleurs pensée pour toi

What a shame that you didn’t get through to the final, dear Charlotte. All I can say is …FIX !! 😉 <3

Charlotte Hoather April 1, 2019 at 4:52 pm

That is competitions Ralph, I learn a little more with each opportunity and I haven’t competed properly for years so it is a steep learning curve to discover what different judges are looking for. You’ve got to please all six not just a couple of them. No fix the competitors here are fabulous I’ve heard some excellent singing.

What an amazing experience! 🙂

Charlotte Hoather April 1, 2019 at 4:52 pm

Yes it is amazing. Very different than anything I’ve experienced before.

What a amazing place Charlotte, your photo’s are fabulous..
    Congratulations on getting through as far as you have,.
    The memories you are making along you’re journey, are wonderful,well done once again.😘👏🏻

Charlotte Hoather April 1, 2019 at 4:53 pm

Matt and Alex have arrived safely , I’m sad I didn’t get the chance to sing on stage for them, I’ll just have to let rip in one of the parks hehe.

Beautiful tour, Charlotte. It has been years since I was in Seoul and it has changed. Well done on being selected for the competition. I’m glad you had time to experience the culture.

I am so happy for you, Charlotte! I recognize some of Seoul from when the Olympics was there, but don’t recall that ‘Thumbs-up’ statue – cute. These are episodes of your life you will never forget, plus they’re constructive!

Charlotte Hoather April 1, 2019 at 4:53 pm

Thank you, GP. I didn’t know anything about Seoul other than what I’d seen in blog friends blog posts and I do have a thirst to visit new places. Just learning how to deal with jet lag and what to eat has been very constructive.

If yu sang as well as you looked, how on earth could they have failed you??!!

Charlotte Hoather April 1, 2019 at 4:53 pm

You are a one thank you, its all about the voice Martin but everyone sang well, at this level you’ve got to tick every box.

Charlotte what wonderful photos, loved them. Hope that you win, you are such a big talent.
    Looks like you are having fun too. Best Wishes, Charlotte….

Charlotte Hoather April 1, 2019 at 4:54 pm

Aw Darlene thank you but I got knocked out, it has given me time to explore though on the bright side and I learnt a bit more too.

Regardless of the outcome of the competition, it is the outcome that you take it with you that is the most valuable thing.

Seoul, really looks exciting ; the city, the food etc. I am glad you had a chance to around exploring the place and thank you for sharing them.

Charlotte Hoather April 1, 2019 at 4:54 pm

Exactly. I try not to beat myself up too much, competitions are a bit like roulette, you choose your repertoire to sing, some judges like it some don’t pleasing all six is the skill, anything can happen on the day.

Seoul is exciting. The pollution was high yesterday but I was given a handy app to check, it gets blown in on the winds, the City itself is very clean and makes for a great experience.

Amritpal Singh March 28, 2019 at 3:59 am

Good morning beautiful pic

Looks like a fabulous trip. All very nice photos. I especially love your close-up, shot #21.

Charlotte Hoather April 1, 2019 at 4:55 pm

Thank you, my parents used to have us pose in front of objects all the time as children and it’s a habit I don’t want to break haha I love looking back at all the old photographs in my scrapbooks.

I am glad for your singing in Seoul Korea and what a success you have been. Enjoy your trip and come to Houston, Texas next. May the Lord bless you richly my Beloved.

Great reportage and photos! Hope your dreams come to fruition!

I am so happy you are enjoying Seoul. It’s a such a fabulous city! Sing your heart out!

A great experience! I am glad that you are making such positive use of the joys of travel in this testing life you have chosen.

What a wonderful experience!

The photos make me feel like I’m there. Thanks for sharing.

How lovely that your brother and his husband joined you in Seoul! I am sorry you weren’t a finalist but what an experience!

What a wonderful opportunity to compete in Seoul! I adore the way you are embracing the opportunity to experience a new country. How fab that your brother and his husband came to share with you.
    You may not have made the finals here, but you will somewhere else. I am always rooting for you. If it was not for you, I would never have become a fan of opera, especially the Soprano! ❦

🙂 What a tremendous experience, and I’ve been in Seoul a few times for work in the Gangnam area ~ love the food there. Wishing you safe travels and continued successes.