Llangollen International Eisteddfod – Pendine International Voice of the Future

July 9, 2018 — 111 Comments

I have some truly amazing news to share with you, last week I entered the Pendine International Voice of the Future competition at the Llangollen International Eisteddfod in Wales, UK. If you remember I last entered the competition back in 2014  when I came third. This year I was thrilled to reach the final which was held on Wednesday 4th July 2018 during the ‘Classical Collection Concert’ on the main Pavillion stage.  My fellow finalists were Rachael Marsh from Wrexham and Mark Christian Bautista of Calamba in the Philippines, who along with myself were selected from the live preliminary round held the previous day.

It was such a thrill to walk out on to the grand stage and perform in front of the large assembled audience, adjudicators, patrons and sponsors. I can’t easily express the emotion that ran through my body as Nico de Villiers the pianist who accompanied me started to play. I sang through my programme and left the stage in what seemed like the blink of an eye, I then re-joined my fellow competitors as we waited for the results to be announced. The atmosphere at the Eisteddfod was lovely, very friendly and culturally diverse.

The results were announced after the concert starring pianists Vicky Yannoula and Peter Jablonski, followed by beautiful choral singing from the Cantorion Sirenian Singers and I am thrilled to let you know that I was awarded the first prize of £6,000.00 and a new silver Pendine Trophy, awarded by Mr. Mario Kreft MBE of the Pendine Park care organisation.

Mr Kreft MBE awarding me the Pendine trophy

Mr Kreft MBE said:

“I believe we have seen a star born this evening as Charlotte Hoather’s performance was simply breath-taking and spectacularly talented.”

The festival’s music director, Vicky Yannoula said :

“The standard of performance we witnessed from all three finalists was exceptional…singing in a competition such as the Pendine International Voice of the Future competition isn’t just about standing in front of a piano and singing, it’s about a performance.”

This award will be such a great help to me as I start my first year as a freelance musician as it will help cover some of my living costs, additional singing lessons, and coaching that I require to continue vocal development and language skills, I also need to attend auditions both here and abroad.

At the end of the concert, we all joined in to participate with The Big NHS Singalong Live which was shown on ITV to help celebrate 70 years of the NHS.

It is hard to believe that this wonderful journey started with my introduction to the wonders of classical singing by my first singing teacher, Jayne Wilson when at Knutsford High school.  She encouraged me to enter festivals and competitions to perform new repertoire and introduce me to other singers and their teachers, and I can’t wait to see her again when I’m next at home.  If you’ve followed my blog you’ve read the journey and adventures along the way I couldn’t do this without the help of many wonderful teachers, coaches and advisors, thank you all too for your continual encouragement and support.

Accompanist: Nico De Villiers

Adjudicators:  Leah Marian Jones , Dr. Anastasia Belina

111 responses to Llangollen International Eisteddfod – Pendine International Voice of the Future

Wow Charlotte, so pleased and proud of you.
    Another great stepping stone xx

Charlotte I am thrilled for you. Such wonderful recognition of your talent, hard work and enthusiasm; and the financial reward will relieve some of the burden of pursuing a career in the arts.

Charlotte Hoather July 10, 2018 at 7:37 pm

It couldn’t have come at a better time, as a student you can access loans, student rooms, cheaper transport etc. but once you’re out in the real-world reality bites 😊. I am so chuffed it has given me a bit of breathing space.

Peter Alexander July 9, 2018 at 11:13 pm

OMG! Congratulations, Charlotte. That kind of recognition is priceless, and so very well deserved. I am overjoyed for you, and I know that in future that prize be one of the stepping stones on a great, great career. Your family must be so proud and thrilled, too. I have been impressed by their support all along the way, so share my congratulations with them, too.

Charlotte Hoather July 10, 2018 at 7:38 pm

That’s exactly what I said Peter OMG! My family have been just great, My Nan and Grandad drove us to Llangollen and stayed overnight, then when we discovered I was in the final my parents left work a little early and arrived in time to see the Classical Collection plus the final of the competition and my friends Gill and Terry came to support me, Gill used to look after us until Mum finished work when we were little they coincided a short-break in Llangollen with the competition, so it was lovely to see them all.

Congratulations, Charlotte. What a wonderful achievement – it will lead to many more, I am sure.

Charlotte Hoather July 10, 2018 at 7:38 pm

Thank you, Liz, I often get knocked out of competitions in the first round before you get to sing for an audience, so I was super thrilled to get through and be commended on my risk taking and performance. I was given some very useful advice from the two lady judges.

Well, what can I say….. Congratulations Miss rainbow voice, I’m very very proud of you my friend !!!! Bravo Mademoiselle voix arc-en-ciel, très fière de Toi et d’être de tes amis !!!

Congratulations Charlotte!!!! Such wonderful news. Thanks so much for posting!
    Great news so thrilled for you, Darlene

Charlotte Hoather July 10, 2018 at 7:39 pm

My Dad helped me to get all the photos and put them into my text because I’ve just been fully immersed in final rehearsals for Candide and I finally got chance to check it over and post it last night, I was bursting to let you all know.

Congratulations to you! What a wonderfull experience for you!

Charlotte Hoather July 10, 2018 at 7:39 pm

Thank you, Leila the stage is just magnificent, the flowers are so beautiful and the colourful background just makes you feel alive.

Wow! Congratulations!!!!

Charlotte Hoather July 10, 2018 at 7:40 pm

Many thanks, you have supported and encouraged me for years and I’m very grateful.

Oh, Charlotte! This is such wonderful news! Congratulations, my dear!

Charlotte Hoather July 10, 2018 at 7:40 pm

Thank you Clare I pinched myself. My Mum said people in the audience around her were saying how much they enjoyed my performance and she wanted to turn around and say that’s my daughter but didn’t because she was enjoying listening to them hehe.

Woo-hoo!! That is absolutely brilliant, and I am so so pleased for you. It’s the best piece of news I’ve heard in ages (except for the football, and even then…)

There’s a little known Pete Atkin song (lyrics by Clive James) of which you’ll never have heard, but which is the only possible response to something like this: Star of Tomorrow. You go, girl!

Charlotte Hoather July 10, 2018 at 7:41 pm

I must admit Martin I was the third one to sing and I was stood in the wings waiting my turn, or rather pacing in the wings waiting my turn whilst hearing some fabulous singing, so it must be a little how a penalty shooting footballer must feel when they’re third or more in the line up and everyone is knocking the ball in the net!! One of the lovely security people back stage actually said too me slow down and save some of that energy for the stage hehe.
      I’ll check out that song it sounds fun.

Congratulations Charlotte. Definitely a star is born. You deserve every moment.

I am so proud of you, so happy for you and honored to know you! 🙂

Charlotte Hoather July 10, 2018 at 7:41 pm

Thanks so much Annette I had my little ‘Go You’ book with me 😊.

Congratulations! That is just fantastic. One thing I’ve noticed with the videos you have posted in the past is that. as Vicky Yannoula said, you ARE a performer, not just someone standing by a piano and singing. What an auspicious start to your career!

Charlotte Hoather July 10, 2018 at 7:42 pm

Well being a performer sometimes works in these situations Trent and sometimes goes against you, some judges prefer stillness and minimal movement just wanting to concentrate on the voice and technical perfection. I just decided for this competition to do the songs and arias that I have enjoyed the most recently and just be myself and not try to guess what was wanted and my teacher Rosa and coach Simon encouraged me to just go for it.

How wonderful! Congratulations, Charlotte!

Charlotte Hoather July 10, 2018 at 7:42 pm

Thank you it really is a fabulous event in Llangollen the Eisteddfod, I was so pleased for my Dad, he used to go with his school to the festival every year as a boy growing up nearby, and was absolutely cheering, I hope some of his old school chums recognised the surname.

Yay for you! A well-deserved accolade I’m sure. 🙂

Charlotte Hoather July 10, 2018 at 7:43 pm

I’d prepared for it with my teacher and coach and sang the material at Tideswell to get some feedback from my friends in the choir and the final program during my last recital at the RCM. The whole experience at Llangollen is a positive one, I was warming up in the toilets in a church café my Nan had found and she came in and told me to come out into the café because everyone could hear me anyway and wanted to listen properly. One lady came to watch the first round and was thrilled to discover I’d got through, then she bought tickets and came to watch the final and waited for me outside the tent after the photos and interviews to tell me how much she’d enjoyed the day, honestly that was one of my best moments ever, we had a hug and photo.

WOO HOO!! You are flying girl! Congratulations!

Charlotte Hoather July 10, 2018 at 7:44 pm

Thank you so much Cindy. The judges were fabulous and took the time to talk to me and the other finalists afterwards offering advice and encouragement and repertoire suggestions.

Congratulations! <3

amrit pal singh July 10, 2018 at 5:21 am

congratulation

Many congratulations 🙂

. CONGRATULATIONS. .CHARLOTTE 🤗💐
    What can I say, you so deserved to win, it was a wonderful performance.
    Onwards and upwards to a successful future,
    You work so hard in everything you do, we wish you lots more success ,good luck.
    Cannot wait to hear what’s happening next.
    Keep blogging.😘

Charlotte Hoather July 10, 2018 at 7:45 pm

I can’t wait to hear what’s happening next hehe. I’ll do my best to keep blogging.

⭐ Awesome Charlotte, my rising Star friend ! ⭐ 🙂 <3

Congratulations with your award, Charlotte! I’m always enjoying reading about your journey and adventures…

Charlotte Hoather July 10, 2018 at 7:46 pm

Thank you, I love reading your and Mr Bowie’s escapades too, although had you realised your name link back to your blog isn’t working right now.

Congratulations! I knew you would win! I wish you every success in your career xx

Charlotte Hoather July 10, 2018 at 7:46 pm

Thank you, Christine, that’s a lovely message. You would love the Eisteddfod and the walking and swimming opportunities around Llangollen.

Many many congratulations. A wonderful achievement and I’m sure the start of many more.

I am THRILLED! It is high-time the International group get to see and hear the star I always knew you were!! I can not wish my Congratulations enough, Charlotte. This is your future you’re looking at young lady – relish it!!

Your news was no surprise to me but how wonderful it was to read it. Great that you won such a competition in ‘the land of song’ and the prize money will certainly come in handy.
    Any news of George Todica? I remember he accompanied you at your final recital at music school. I shall be in Iasi in August but unfortunately the magnificent opera house will be silent, as will the adjacent philharmonic hall as there is no ‘summer season’. When I lived there I had season tickets for both for, then, incredibly low prices to hear the superb orchestra, choir and opera, and every 5 years the complete cycle of Beethoven’s string quartets performed by ‘Voces’, a talented quartet reminding me of Amadeus.
    Would you believe that students from the industrial high school (veterinary medicine and food production), where my wife Petronela and I met, were taken to the opera each year. Can you imagine that in UK?
    If ever you tell me you are performing in Iasi I’ll be on a plane for sure.

Charlotte Hoather July 10, 2018 at 7:48 pm

Thank you Roger, it really is the land of song, so many people in Wales enjoy their singing in choirs and solo.
      Yes George spent last year teaching in Glasgow and Edinburgh to save up to take on an Artist Diploma at the Royal College of Music starting September. His brother sings at the Opera House in Iasi it is a shame they don’t have a summer program for tourists.
      I would believe it, the Romanian schools have a deep interest in preserving the classics and teaching of music, when I was there they had a concert in the shopping mall for people shopping to enjoy, we could learn a lot from their example.

Oh how wonderful, Charlotte! I am so proud of you. Your voice is spectacular and breathtaking, I know from your CDs I have. Congratulations! You have the world before you to take on and many more wonderful and thrilling adventures and performances ahead. Love & hugs!

Congratulations, Charlotte! I can’t wait to see what is in store for you next! You have such an amazing story–it could become the basis for a great inspirational novel!

Best regards,

Cate

Charlotte Hoather July 11, 2018 at 7:35 pm

Go for it Cate you’re a fabulous writer :). I know what I’m doing until September then 🤷‍♀️.

Charlotte you were outstanding, we really enjoyed your performance. Please let me know the titles of songs you sung. I want to do a write up for Ferrier Society Newsletter. We will continue to follow your career as we do all our contestants and wish you every success. Kathx

Charlotte Hoather July 11, 2018 at 7:36 pm

Thank you, I wish I’d seen you there Kath it would have been lovely to catch up with you. I’ll e-mail you with my program. I loved my experience with the Kathleen Ferrier Society in Blackburn and would be really thrilled to have a write up.

This is brilliant, Charlotte, just exactly what you need (and deserve) at this moment. Edwin and I send heartfelt congratulations.

Charlotte Hoather July 11, 2018 at 7:36 pm

Thanks so much Hilary to you and Edwin, it’s nice to have a little piece of luck every now and again 🙂.

Charlotte, I am so happy for you – what a splendid accomplishment and recognition!! I know how hard you work, so it’s truly wonderful to see you become even more successful as the years go by.
    Celebrate yourself today, my singing friend.

Charlotte Hoather July 11, 2018 at 7:37 pm

Thank you Sheila, my Nan told me I had to stop and enjoy the whole experience and have a paddle in the river, it was super they got to experience it with me, even Grandad got excited and he’s the most chilled man ever 😄.

Marvellous! And a wonderful account of the event. I am so happy you won!

Charlotte Hoather July 11, 2018 at 7:37 pm

Thank you so much, there was a new silver plate trophy this year and it’s having my name engraved on the back which is just brilliant.

What a wonderful achievement, Charlotte, and much deserved. You’ve studied and worked with such dedication. Congratulations! I am SO happy for you 🙂

How absolutely fabulous! You have worked hard and with great dedication to get to this stage on that stage (sorry, I just can’t help myself when words come out to play) and thoroughly deserve the laurels. Well done, and onward and upward!

Lovely 😊, thank you so much. A great start to my first year out of full-time education. Just had a fabulous week performing in Candide got lots of great advice from my friends in the cast.

Congratulations on your selection and I pray that you will come in first place this time. May God bless you richly my Beloved.

Well done Charlotte, me and Terry were completely blown away by your performance. You thoroughly deserved to win, the singing, stage performance and overall talent was awesome. So so proud of you. 😘😘

Your voice, and its emotion within …. the giving to the role, the animation.. Your performances have always enchanted me. Chapeau, dear Charlotte! The best is yet to come!

Congratulations, Charlotte. Well done.

Congratulations!!! I’m so happy for you! 😀

That’s wonderful Charlotte, many congratulations. Well-deserved.

Congratulations! And good luck with those auditions.

Congratulations! Well done!
    Best regards,
    PM

Huge congratulations, Charlotte. Your voice is as beautiful as you are. So well-deserved my dear friend! X

Congratulations! It must feel wonderful after all the hard work you’ve put in over the years.

Well deserved. You have a great talent, Charlotte.

Congratulations. You are so awesome. And we are very proud of you. Your hard, hard work and persistence has paid off. This is a wonderful beginning to what I know will be a great career. Thank you for sharing such happiness.

Thank you Don, I got sent some images from the Competition I finally got around to adding to the post today. I can finally catch up with my blogging friends now.

I have learned a lot from you… am still learning a lot from you.. and hope to put more of what I’ve learned into practice. I never wanted to be vulnerable. To go out in front of people to share my heart, my voice, my talent. I was frightened of what they’d say …or how harsh their criticism would be. But you show me that these things can be embraced, even celebrated. And I should only be afraid of Fear …letting it keep me away from my passion. Anyway, I am proud of you and all that you have and will accomplish.

I began following your blog years ago without a real interest or knowledge of Opera. Yet, you have such a glow about you and your goals my curiosity grew. Now, I know the rest of the world can see what I saw. Maybe they won’t use the word, “glow” but have a better adjective.

What a wonderful message Eric, so true you can’t let fear take you down or stop you, sometimes people turn back just before they get to the goal. I like the word glow 😁.

I am so glad to read about your recent,brilliant achievement,dear Charlotte.I strongly believe in you and your talent,you are really gifted.Kudos to you on the first prize of £6,000.00 and new silver Pendine Trophy,my friend.You did deserve it.

Congrats Charlotte. Well deserved. I hope you’re still beaming!!

Thank you Marie I am after reading your lovely message 😁. I’ve put some more photos on the post I received, I just need to figure out how to put them in order 🤷‍♀️.

Congratulations, Charlotte! How wonderful!

Thank you very much, I’ve been sent some more photos from the competition I’ve added today now I’ve finally got a breather couple of days out of rehearsal.