My Summer Reprise

September 2, 2018 — 72 Comments

As the summer draws to a close and the autumn approaches I wanted to put together a short reprise of what I have been up to since graduating from the Royal College of Music Masters course at the beginning of July.

The first event of the summer was my recital with the Tideswell Male Voice Choir on the 29th June 2018, such a joy to sing alongside my old friends.

After The Concert.jpg

Followed on the 3rd and 4th July with my entry into this year’s Llangollen International Eisteddfod for the Pendine International Voice of the Future competition. What a fabulous place to perform, and being selected as this year’s winner was the icing on the cake. I have added some extra pictures to my original post and hope you get the chance to check them out if you haven’t already seen them.

297

Then on to the Minack Theatre, near Lands End in beautiful Cornwall where I performed the role of Cunegonde in Surrey Opera’s production of Candide 16th to 20th July 2018

A73A0824

The Minack Theatre reviewer Jenni Barlow wrote that ‘her ears were ringing and singing with sheer ecstasy and my head is still spinning with delight after watching one of the Minack’s most exhilarating musical productions….the voices of its nine principle singers are sublime…, with Charlotte Hoather giving a remarkable performance on the opening night, effortlessly hitting the top, very high notes, as well as achieving perfect comic timing, in partnership with the impeccable Stephen Anthony Brown.’ I was thrilled when this was sent to me.

After traveling back to London for rehearsals, it was on to Waterperry House in Oxfordshire to perform the role of Maria Bertram in Waterperry Opera Festival’s production of Jonathan Dove’s Mansfield Park.  The production received a five-star review in Bachtrack this week by Charlotte Valori,    “Waterperry Opera Festival has broken new ground in its first season, opening with an ambitiously broad programme which presented four different works in four different spaces […] The jewel of these four was the chance to see Jonathan Dove’s Mansfield Park in the period-perfect setting of Waterperry House […] Charlotte Hoather’s precocious, determined Maria Bertram displayed a deep and sensitive understanding of her complex character […] Mansfield Park sparkled with wit and ingenuity from start to finish.”

Mansfield Park - Jonathan Dove - Waterperry Opera Festival - 17th August 2018 Director/Designer - Rebecca Meltzer Musical Director - Ashley Beauchamp Maria Bertram - Charlotte Hoather Julia Bertram - Sarah Anne Champion Aunt Norris - Andrea Tweedale Mar

Now having had such a wonderful summer full of learning, I have to start preparations for next year, starting the audition process all over again.  I have a couple of smaller projects underway at present and can’t wait to share them with you as Autumn progresses. But until then I have my return to the role of Uccellina in BambinO for Scottish Opera in their tour this September.

One of the locations that we will be visiting is Lerwick in the Shetland Isles and I was excited to see my blog friend Cindy Knoke’s blog post today on the Town, the most Northerly town in the UK, with some amazing pictures.

72 responses to My Summer Reprise

Such a busy time in so short a space of time. I hope this will always be the way for you, Charlotte, and if life is a true reflection of ability, I am confident that it will be. May all your down-times be planned ones, Scorpio Lady.

Charlotte Hoather September 2, 2018 at 9:53 pm

I had a weeks downtime last week, I keep being told how difficult this life is to sustain without sponsors and agents etc. I’ll just keep pushing on as best I can and I’m peddling fast under the surface learning and adding when I’m not working. Thank you for your confidence in me Martin I really do appreciate it.

Wow wow , Charlotte I’m very proud of you ! and very happy foo ! You have do the job, now you are on a nice road ! Best wishes, best toughts for you ma chère et talentueuse Miss rainbow voice !!!

Charlotte Hoather September 2, 2018 at 9:55 pm

Thank you my friend, I’m not complacent this road I’m on is full of potholes and there are a lot of vehicles on it. I’m doing my best to keep peddling. Thank you for your best thoughts and wishes.
      All my best wishes to you,

What a wonderful summer! You do such interesting projects—first and still BambinO, and then Mansfield Park in a country home! And between those excursions, you get to perform the little role of Cunnegonde in “Candide” in one of the most picturesque spots on the planet—which of course most sopranos would kill for. Congratulations!

Charlotte Hoather September 2, 2018 at 10:07 pm

I know Peter the variety has been amazing and I’m really looking forward to meeting the new BambinO cast and putting on my feathers again next week. After seeing Cindy Knokes’ photos of Lerwick I’m doubly excited to go there, it’s amazing that Scottish Opera are taking this lovely event to these Towns I hope someone’s told all the babies and toddlers 😁.

It all feels very unscheduled now after being in college and conservatoires for 8 years, I’m keeping up with lessons and coaching so keep your fingers crossed for me for a productive winter season.

What a schedule, Charlotte. It has been an amazing ride. Congratulations.

Charlotte Hoather September 2, 2018 at 10:11 pm

I took a week off practice last week to sort out regular life, we’re having a nice start to autumn in the UK with mild weather, so took a bit of time to smell the roses and reflect.

Fantastic! You are certainly making the most of everything life has to offer! Bambino is coming back… awesome. God Bless you.

Charlotte Hoather September 2, 2018 at 10:15 pm

Yes, I’m flying up to Aberdeen on Thursday to meet the new cast and watch their production. Thank you for your good wishes Annette.

You are such a sweetheart. I so wish I was in Lerwick to hear you, but I feel a certainty that Jim and I will be hearing you someday soon. All the best to you my friend <3

Charlotte Hoather September 3, 2018 at 7:27 pm

Enjoy the rest of your holiday Cindy, your photographs as always are fabulous.

Awesome ! Well done Charlotte 🙂 <3

You had busy time since your graduation.. That was wonderful. I am so happy to see!

Charlotte Hoather September 3, 2018 at 7:27 pm

Yes. It was good and it helped me to get over the wrench of finishing higher education and it was good to be so active and busy.

Well done Charlotte, you work so hard and always give 100%, so proud of you. 😘

Wow, you’ve had quite a busy, productive and fun summer. Congrats on your award and on all the success you have had. I wish you continued success always. 🤗 😘

It takes determination to achieve success… What a great impact to the whole world you did my lady CharlotteCharlotte.. Congratulations for the sky is your starting piont.

Well done on your busy summer Charlotte, you are amazing. So proud of you and to know you xx

Charlotte Hoather September 3, 2018 at 7:50 pm

Thanks Jo, it has been so busy this year but so much fun. Hopefully I can catch up with you when I am next at home. Have a lovely week.

Wow you have been busy!! And I bet Autumn is going to be even busier 😊

Charlotte Hoather September 3, 2018 at 7:29 pm

Summer has been just the 10% above the water everyone can see, the real work goes on ‘under the water line’ in practice, learning and more practice and you’re quite right that’s going to get even busier.

Wow, congratulations on your award! It sounds like you have had a fantastic summer! All the best for the future!

Charlotte Hoather September 3, 2018 at 7:29 pm

Thank you Jen it was a great event to be a part of and it’s a beautiful area of North Wales.
      Best wishes to you,

And now the awards begin and you know all of your followers here haven’t just been kind – they’ve been truthful! You have a long, wonderful career ahead of you, Charlotte. Enjoy every minute.

Charlotte Hoather September 3, 2018 at 7:30 pm

I really have enjoyed summer, I’ve been around some amazing people and lovely areas of the Country I’ve never seen before, it’s been tiring but I’m refreshed again now.
      Best wishes GP,
      Charlotte 😊

What a fabulous few months you have had Charlotte.
    I’m so pleased we were able to see and enjoy 3 of your performances, you were wonderful as always.
    So excited to see what comes next, enjoy Bambino again. Good luck with everything you do in the future. Xx

Charlotte Hoather September 3, 2018 at 7:54 pm

It was lovely to see you both at each performance and I hope you enjoyed them as much as I did. See you soon.

My goodness, how busy you have been. But it all looks like a wondrous and fun kind of busy! Congratulations on being selected the International Voice of the Future! Not surprising, though! 😀

Thank you Linda, the challenge is keeping up my own personal momentum and keep myself going now I’m alone. I’m staying on in London which has been a challenge to find somewhere affordable as I give up my lovely student room tomorrow.

Best of luck to you, Charlotte. Be safe. I’m afraid that we don’t hear much good coming out of London here in the States. But, then, it’s probably like what is being fed to others outside about the U.S. Currently, we’re better off than we have been in decades under Pres. Trump!

What an adventure!!!! Keep up the great work Charlotte, many thanks for the great photos too. BambinO is fun too. All the best, Darlene

I’m meeting the new cast tomorrow very excited. Sad to be leaving my student room in the Prince Consort Village it’s been such a lovely and safe home for two years, lots of friends here and fab practice rooms with pianos, time to grow up 😳😄.

Keep up the good work and may God bless you

I see you have had a wonderful summer since your graduation and fall will be very wonderful too. Keep in touch my beloved.

What a fantastic summer, Charlotte, and Congratulations on your award. You always evoke wonderful memories of my singing days years (and years ago). I wish you all the best in future auditions, too. Love all the photos!
    ~Lauren xo

I’m happy to bring back good memories Lauren, do you still sing now?

Not any more, Charlotte. It’s been about 20 years and my voice has changed. But I’m learning the guitar, so I’m keeping music alive, which is a big part of my life, as well as my family’s. 🙂

Charlotte Hoather September 7, 2018 at 4:34 pm

You should think about a modern choir Lauren it’s a great way to start up singing again in a supported and gentle way and discover your new vocal fach but as an alternative guitar sounds like a fabulous idea I’d love to take on another instruments and pianos just aren’t portable enough 😀.

Good luck with everything you do in future 🙂 x

An incredible summer for you, Charlotte, and it is all just beginning for you. I think you winning the Pendine International Voice of the Future competition must have been your highlight, but then again I see your photo of you in the role of Maria Bertram and your review… Not a bad summer at all 🙂

Thank you Randall I’ve had a super summer, I hope I can keep up the pace of learning through this autumn self directed. My lessons start up again with my teachers privately which I’m excited about, I can’t wait to see Rosa, Simon, Christopher and Andrew again to catch up and my lovely friend Norman who helps with acting.

If your summer is any indication, your career is off to a blazing start, Charlotte! I expect to see your name in lights here in the US, and if I can get there to see you, I will! Huge congratulations! Well done!

Wow that’s cool madam

You know Noelle every professional I’ve worked with this summer has told me how hard this life is and how I should blog about all the difficulties and worries and stress but I’m a glass is half full person and I have to be more positive or I think worrying all the time would grind me down, I prefer to keep my head in the light and stay positive seeing the good in every little recital as well as dreaming about performing all over the world 🙂 as naive as that might be.

It’s all like a magical summer’s tour. I’m not surprised that you are singled out as a jewel in Mansfield Park, or that you are officially “The Voice of the Future”. It has been a fab summer for you. When you are finished your tour with “Bambino”, there will be another opera that wants you, big time. Cindy Knoke’s post on Lerwick is amazing. How fab that you are touring there.
    Whew!
    Anyway, I have done a couple of initial sketches. I put them in a page on Art Gowns. I hope you like them. You can leave a comment there. https://artgowns.com/scrapbook/char/ -Resa Once I know you have seen them, I’ll mark it Private.

I’m in the final leg of the tour this week, I fly to the Shetland Islands tomorrow and have a day off today (although that still means practice hehe). I love Cindy’s blog her photography is amazing and gave me a real taste of Lerwick. Did you see my message on the scrapbook?

Charlotte!
        How exciting and you must be getting tired. I know how hectic touring can be. Still, you’ve seen some beautiful places and met some wonderful people. Yes, I did see your fabulous comment in the scrapbook. I replied to it, so you can go there and read it. I also made the “page” password protected. So, if the link I provided, takes you to a page that that demands a password.

So, I’ve got Alice In Wonderland on hold at the library! It should arrive at my branch, soon. I want to reread it to get the changes proper in my head.
        Lol! I wasn’t on tour, but I sure had a busy time last 10 days.
        Can hardly wait to see what you are up to next!
        Cheers,
        Resa

What a great review! And what an exciting start to your career! I hope your autumn goes well 🙂

Congrats on your graduation with flying colours, Charlotte! All the best for a wonderful career and successful auditions along the way! Here in Calgary, Alberta, Canada, we’re having our Esther Honens Piano Competitions. The finalists this year look great. But I’m in another place right now, in Toronto for TIFF. Thanks for keeping in touch! 🙂

Thank you Arti the two years in London just flew by, I loved being a student at the Royal College of Music. These big piano competitions are just spectacular aren’t they, we’ve just had the Leeds Piano competition which is a rather large event a 20 year old won which is an amazing achievement so young, although mastery at a young age isn’t discriminated about in the piano world which is great.

Congratulations dear Charlotte!!! Bravo 👏🏻 👏🏻👏🏻
    With my best wishes from my heart!!!

What a great summer you had! It was indeed a reprise.

I would love to go to Lerwick! Enjoy your time there with BambinO, Charlotte. You have certainly been very busy this summer so I was pleased to read that you have had a week off at home recently. I hope you find some suitable auditions to attend soon and that you are successful and find more work for the autumn and winter. Look after yourself, my dear.

that must be really an experience to perform at the Minac Theatre but we could imagine it’s not so easy singing there because of the acoustics.
    Gratulation for all you have done this year so far. We are impressed.
    Wishing you a happy weekend
    The Fab Four of Cley

Thank you my friend, I hope you have had a wonderful summer.