First Recital Of The New Year

January 20, 2019 — 38 Comments

On the train back to our London home via Paddington this evening after performing my first concert of 2019 with George Todica. What a thrilling way to start our musical performances for the year.

We performed as part of the Stonevale Recital series, near Swindon an intimate venue where we were warmly welcomed by the concert organiser Lynette and later by the generous and kind-hearted audience of the local village. The audience was made up of all ages and it was lovely to see everyone engage with our performance as we traveled throughout Europe with our musical program.

Blog 200119 02

At the venue, we had the luxury of picking between two pianos for the concert, and George was in a little torment as both pianos were exquisite to the touch and being mindful of the repertoire we were performing he decided to play the Steinway because of its crisp colours and position within the room. Although the Yamaha was a very strong contender with its vibrancy of sound.

Blog 200119 01

It was lovely to travel outside of London bringing our practice to performance level and having fun in the joy of creating live music. We performed a few new pieces and took lots of risks and shaped the stories told by our music based on the reactions of our audience. I also sang a great number of arias which put my stamina to the test! We were really happy and can’t wait to perform more concerts and recitals in this new year!

Blog 200119 03

Earlier in the week, we took inspiration from Diana Damrau and Helmut Deutsch’s Lieder concert at the Barbican this week. The duo looked like they had so much fun on stage seamlessly crafting the music and the poetry. We both thoroughly enjoyed their interpretation along with the rest of the audience who encouraged Damrau and Deutsch’s to perform three encores! Which in turn left George and me with two sets of very red yet enthusiastic hands!

Blog 200119 04

We both wanted to take this joy and energy and try to share it with those who came this afternoon and we hope that in some small way we were able to achieve this.

38 responses to First Recital Of The New Year

Start as you mean to go on, build upon it, and finish strongly. I predict a successful and a happy 2019 for you, Charlotte.

Charlotte Hoather January 21, 2019 at 7:39 pm

Thank you Martin, as well as trying to find and booking solo projects I’m also spending time creating programs for a piano and vocal duo (Lied), we have been to watch several fabulous artists and noting what we enjoy about their presentations and we have some new, fresh ideas of our own we’re testing out.

How wonderful! I wish that I could have been there. Great photos of Charlotte and George. Thanks for posting, Charlotte….

Charlotte Hoather January 21, 2019 at 7:40 pm

Thank you Darlene we felt it went really well which we were pleased about because we were testing out a new program, it was very well received and we had fun whilst being exhausted on the train on the way back, used up lots of energy.

That seems great–you both look very pleased. Good for you!

Charlotte Hoather January 21, 2019 at 7:40 pm

Thank you Donnalee we enjoyed the recital and got lovely feedback afterwards.

Sounds like a wonderful experience for all concerned. We’ll done xx

Charlotte Hoather January 21, 2019 at 7:40 pm

Thank you Les, working hard on getting our programs right before we start trying to get more bookings.

Thank you, for sharing the excitement! Carry on.

Charlotte Hoather January 21, 2019 at 7:41 pm

When I’m piling on the learning of new material, its nice to get performance opportunities along the way to test out audience reaction and how the program feels to perform live in a full session. I’m excited for the challenges of this new year.

I did not know that Brands of pianos have different strengths. ..Nice outfit.

Charlotte Hoather January 21, 2019 at 7:42 pm

Pianists unlike most other musicians don’t get to take their instrument with them, they have their own personal tastes and often can’t adjust the piano other than in very large venues. So to give a pianist a choice of pianos is a treat, just one benefit from being a singer and having your instrument inside your body 😊.

All my best wishes Eric,

Lovely photos of you both, well done! 😘

Charlotte Hoather January 21, 2019 at 7:42 pm

Thanks Gilly, I think you’d like this program I’m hoping to bring it up to a venue near you later in the year.

That is very nice. I did not know there are cases that you can also pick instruments such as different pianos in this case. It would be great to hear the sound of each…

Charlotte Hoather January 21, 2019 at 7:43 pm

It is quite unusual most venues only have one piano so it was a proper treat for George. I have enough problems deciding how to do my hair and which dress to wear to suit the program and venue, time etc. I’m happy my instrument is my own body hehe.

Congratulations on opening 2019 with a success!!

Congratulations on beginning the new year with your inspiration through music. I sing tenor and always appreciate the wonderful soprano voices. I love to hear the harmony of all parts and how they blend. 🙂

Wow, Great new ! Félicitations à tout les deux, congratulations to you twice, – Wish you the best !!

What a great start to the year, Charlotte! Congratulations on the performance!

Sounds like you had a lot of fun 🙂 x

👏👏👏👏Bravo!!!!
    Wish I could have heard that performance!

The duo concert with George was a treat the audience was very warm and encouraging, We ran through my entire Dublin competition program which was useful and lots of fun to do.
      All my best wishes Resa,

What a fantastic start to the year! I love the photos of you both! Apologies for not being able to comment very often recently; I have nearly caught up now. xx

Hi Clare, sorry for the late reply, it’s been hectic I didn’t get a chance to post my usual weekly blog yesterday because of the week I’d had. Thank you for keeping in touch.

You have no need to apologise, Charlotte. I am constantly amazed at the amount of things you do and you still manage to read other people’s blogs and reply to comments!